Guglielmo Marconi

220px-Guglielmo_MarconiGuglielmo Marconi, 1st Marquis of Marconi (Italian; 25 April 1874 – 20 July 1937) An Italian electrical engineer known for the development of a practical wireless telegraphy system commonly known as the “radio”. Although many scientists and inventors contributed to the invention of wireless telegraphy, Marconi’s system achieved widespread use, and therefore he is often thought of as the “father of radio”. Marconi did use others’ patents in the development of his system, such as Karl Ferdinand Braun’s tuning system. He also demonstrated a variety of Tesla’s radio frequency systems during lectures to the National Electric Light Association in St. Louis, and the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. This should not distract from his achievements though, since few inventions are entirely original. Most all scientists and inventors build on and improve the discoveries of their predecessors. Marconi demonstrated the transmission and reception of Morse Code based radio signals over a distance of 2 or more kilometers on Salisbury Plain in England in 1896. For this he was awarded a patent for Radio communications with British Patent GB12039 – sometimes recognized as the World’s first patent in radio telecommunication. In July of 1897 Marconi formed the London based Wireless Telegraph Trading Signal Company (later renamed the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company), which opened the World’s first “wireless” factory in Hall Street, Chelmsford, England. In 1901 Marconi built a station near Wellfleet, Massachusetts. It was first called CC (Cape Cod), then MCC (Marconi Cape Cod) and finally WCC when the US government issued “W” call letters to stations east of the Mississippi. In 1903, from this station, Marconi sent a famous message from the President of the US to the King of the United Kingdom without having to be relayed. In 1914, Marconi built WCC in Chatham, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod, and it would become the busiest ship to shore radio station for most of the twentieth century. WCC was sold during the breakup of RCA in the 1990s to MCI, and was finally shut down in 1997. Read more…

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed